Monday, March 7, 2011

PTI

Pardon the interruption of the 30-day challenge but I found this delicious and delightfully easy dinner that anyone would like!

Super Stuffed French Bread Pizza Rustica

Ingredients
  • 1 (2 foot long) loaf French bread
  • 1 pound sweet Italian sausage
  • 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 2 large cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 package frozen chopped spinach defrosted and squeezed dry
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1 1/2 cups part skim ricotta
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
  • 1/2 pound sweet sopressata, from the deli, sliced thick, chopped
  • 1/2 stick pepperoni, chopped
  • 1 sack (10 ounces) shredded mozzarella
  • 1 sack (10 ounces) shredded provolone
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes

Directions

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

Split bread lengthwise and hollow it out. Cut in half across, making 4 shells for pizzas.

Heat a skillet over medium high flame and brown sausage in extra-virgin olive oil. Brown and crumble sausage. Add red bell pepper, onion and garlic. Cook 3 to 5 minutes, add spinach. Remove mixture from heat and season with a pinch of salt and black pepper, to your taste.

Transfer to a bowl. Combine sausage and veggies with ricotta, Parmesan, sopressata and pepperoni. Fill bread shells and top with mounded mozzarella and provolone cheeses. Place in hot oven on cookie sheet and bake until cheese melts and bubbles and bread is super crisp, about 10 to 12 minutes. Top pizzas with oregano and hot pepper flakes. Serve immediately, or snack all night!

Okay so of course I made a few changes to my liking. This household likes spicy food so instead of the sweet Italian sausage I used hot Italian sausage(which was tasty). I skipped out on the spinach not because I don't like it, just because it sounded kinda weird in my pizza. Also, I love green peppers so I used one small red bell pepper and one small green pepper. I skipped on the red pepper flakes since I already had spicy sausage. Oh and I spread a small layer of marinara sauce I had in the fridge on the bread shells before putting the filling in!!! Try this recipe you won't regret it!

1 comment: